www.paramythia-online.gr

 Main Menu
General
Photo Gallery
Landmarks
How to get there
Hotels
Events
Guest Book
Contact
Maps
Links
Routers

St Donatos

Google
 

The Watch is dated from 1750 – work of OPUS CREDUM DE POLIZ. Instead of the metallic spring, it has a thin rope tied up on a stone. Its unique mechanism functions with 2 simple weights, fixed somehow in order to ring only at exact hours. It was built in 1750, by initiative of Maroutsi family. Wherefrom the Watch placed, it can be heard ringing from all over the city. During the ottoman domination, Ali Pashas as was visiting Paramythia, heard the Watch ringing. 

.

The Koulia tower is dated from the Enetians ages. It was used as watching tower. And was standing in front of the Paramythia castle. It is built only by stone, composed by 3 floors and its roof has the tower shape. Over its roof olives have rising. During the Turkish domination, Ali Pashas used to stay at Kulia, when visiting Paramythia. Its shape was assuring safety to any visitor... Now days, the Koulia tower is among the landmarks in the region. Visiting hours daily: 08:00-20:00.

.

The Roman colony Fotiki stands on the today’s region of St. Donatos (Sametia), and was established in 167 BC. There, was found the sarcophagus of Pirus, the King of Epirus. You can see the sarcophagus within the Ioannina’s museum. There are also other cities, as Nikopolis, built during Roman period.There was a movement of population from the surrounding region to new built Thesprotian cities. The exact placement of Fotiki (Liboni), was revealed by 2 inscriptions. The first one referred the Roman commander Pompeeo Sabino, and was found in 1890.

.

.

Byzantine Springs. Within the city of Paramythia, northern of the Panagia’s temple, we can find Byzantine Springs. There are even today in a very good condition, and are proving the great cultural history of the region. 

Its architecture is particular, with walls made of stone 80cm thickness. The visiting hours every day: 08:00-20:00. photo gallery

.

The Monastery (Church) of Panagia in Paramythia has a cupola which protects the cross, and is covered by ceramic ornaments. It was built in 14th century. There were made some additions to the initial temple, the latest being the four-sided bell tower. The church was built to honor the memory of Panagia. Paramythia took its name from the temple (in ancient Greek means comforter). The church represents a symbol to all over the world Paramythians. The church had mosaics which were covered, for protection...

.

The castle of Chrysavgi. At Chrysavgi there is the 2nd castle of Paramythia, the castle of ancient Elea. Today, its walls are in good conditions, showing its great history. Was the most important community in Eleatida, the region between Nekromanteio and Paramythia, where the nation of Thesprotian Eleates was living. Established in 350 BC, was the capital of Thesprotia. During the 4th century BC there were established the first communities reaching the side of a real city. 

.

The castle of St. Donatos stands in front of Korila Mountain, in the city of Paramythia. It took its name after the Protector of city. It was built in 3 phases, beginning in the ancient ages till the Turkish domination. The 1st phase begins during the Greek ages, the 2nd during Byzantine ages and the 3rd during Turkish domination. The Byzantine castle was mentioned by historic of the Middle Age, by Prokopios (6th century), and also during the Tokkoi ages (beginning 15th century). 

.

Acheron is river of Epirus, springs from Paramythia’s and Souli’s mountains and flows into the Ionian Sea. Springing at 1.600m, Acheron is crossing Thesprotia and Preveza about 50km and ends into the Ionian Sea. Before Acheron’s end into the sea, it flows through the so called Canyon of Acheron. Kokitos and Pyriflegenthontas are 2 smaller rivers which end into Acheron, also the Tsaggariotikos coming from Souli ends into Acheron. In modern history Acheron is linked to Souli, but its mysterious caves, dark water and its course crossing dangerous ... 

 

 

 

© paramythia "on line"